Direct transfer linkFrom Charles de Gaulle Airport to Gare Du Nord
or book your transfer in another area from Charles de Gaulle airport
Charles de Gaulle airport to Gare Du Nord transfer
At the beginning of nineteenth century like most Parisian railway stations, Gare du Nord became too small to deal with the increase in railway traffic. The forerunner to the Gare du Nord - the Belgiun railway platform was already
inadequate by around 1854.
This station soon proved to be too small for the increasing traffic, especially when Queen Victoria's visit had to be rerouted to Gare de l'Est. In 1884, engineers added five supplementary tracks.
The interior was completely rebuilt in 1889 and an extension was built on the eastern side to serve suburban train lines. There were further expansions between the 1930s and the 1960s.
Finally, in 1994, the arrival of Eurostar trains imposed a further reorganization of the tracks. Today:
Platforms 1 and 2: Service platforms, not open to the public. Platforms 3 to 6: Terminus of the London Eurostar via the Channel Tunnel. Platforms 7 and 8: Thalys platforms for Belgium, the Netherlands, and Germany. Platforms 9 to 29: TGV North, Main Line trains, then the Picard TER Platforms 30 to 40: Suburban station Platforms 41 to 44 In the basement: RER station
There is also a further construction project to build a connecting hallway between Gare du Nord and Gare de l'Est, which is projected to open around the time when the new LGV Est begins serving the station.
The building has the usual U-shape of a terminus station. The main support beam is made out of cast iron combining successfully Neoclassicism and the XIXth century new metal structures. The façade was designed around a triumphal
arch and used many large solid pieces of stone.
The main elevation is decorated with 9 statues representing the most important French and European cities towards which the railway would lead (Paris, London, Berlin, Warsaw, Amsterdam, Vienna, Brussels) while national destinations are represented with more modest statues on the façade.
Inside, the main building there are two rows of Corinthian cast iron columns supporting the main glass roof that covers a width of 72 meters at 38 meters high. Two side wings embrace the main building symmetrically and there is a Doric colonnade at ground level.
The first Gare du Nord was opened for the public on 14 June 1846, it was partially demolished in 1860 to provide space for the current station, and the former station's façade was removed and placed in Lille. Construction lasted from May 1861 to December 1865, but the new station opened for service while still under construction in 1864.
The beautiful cityscape provided by Gare du Nord served as decor in numerous French films as well as US films.